གཟའ་པ་སངས། ༢༠༢༤/༠༦/༡༤

Tibetan Exiles Say Chinese Authorities Raid Monastery After Protest བོད་སྐད།

Tibetan exiles say more than 100 Buddhist monks have been detained in an area of Sichuan province as Chinese security forces try to bring an end to a wave of protests.

The Tibetan Center for Human Rights and Democracy says paramilitary police took part in a raid Friday at Kirti Monastery in Ngaba (Chinese: Aba) County. The India-based group says at least 23 people were killed in protests during unrest in that part of western China nearly two weeks ago.

The Tibetan government in exile released a similar report, adding that arrests of Tibetans also have been reported in (Drango [Chinese: Luhuo] County in) Kardze [Chinese: Ganzi] Prefecture.

The Washington-based International Campaign for Tibet says the protests, now entering a third week, have taken place in at least 42 Chinese counties, despite a heavy security buildup and about 12-hundred arrests.

Late Friday, Chinese state media said the government will give families of civilians killed during riots in Lhasa on March 14th the equivalent of 28 thousand dollars in compensation.

Diplomats from more than a dozen countries, including the United States, were due to be in Lhasa on a Chinese-led tour today (Saturday). U.S. officials say they are pressing for unfettered access to other parts of Tibet. The U.S. State Department says the American representative in the group is a Tibet expert who is fluent in Mandarin Chinese.

Baima Chilin, vice-chairman of the Chinese-controlled Tibetan government, has said authorities will not punish monks who disrupted a government-led media tour of Tibet's capital on Thursday. However, he added that none of the 117 monks at the Jokhang Temple will be allowed to leave until authorities finish investigating whether some took part in violent protests.

Lhasa's largest three monasteries (Ganden, Drepung and Sera) remain locked down. The International Campaign for Tibet says food and water have been cut off.

Peaceful demonstrations in Lhasa began March 10th, on the anniversary of a failed 1959 uprising against Chinese rule. The unrest erupted into riots in Lhasa four days later, followed by a crackdown on protesters.

The Tibetan government in exile, based in India, says at least 140 Tibetans were killed during Chinese authorities' crackdown on protests in Lhasa and other areas.